Yes in certain countries and traditions, These things are part of any culture’s normal gift giving process, though, and the gifts were not the same as they are today. Often they focused on the poor, for example. None of this came to America, which really ‘invented’ the tradition as we see it today. I’ll have some follow up video posts that go into this more. Basically, America took echoes of these traditions and made something new and more commercialized. Those who created this tradition used these ideas on purpose to give them a sense of something older than their time. This in part explains why St. Nicholas can become something as strange as Santa Claus.
Source: The History of Christmas Gifts
- Lecrae & Ty Dolla $ign for New Single, “Blessings” - January 31, 2017
- Danny Gokey & Kierra Sheard on new song “Better than I found it” - January 30, 2017
- The Gospel Live – Unplugged Feat: Pastor Andre Crittenden - December 22, 2016
- The History of Christmas Gifts - December 21, 2016
- How Christian rock’s Hillsong United balances faith and flash - November 23, 2016
- To The King…Vertical Worship by Micah Stampley - November 23, 2016